Upholstery Cleaning Tips
When it comes to methodical upholstery cleaning job we recommend you to consult an expert... though some things can be implemented by you. We hope the following upholstery tips, gave by our experts, will help you preserve and maintain your upholstered furniture life.
Upholstered Furniture - Dust & Stains
Dust can settle on upholstered furniture. It should be removed regularly, about once a month with vacuum cleaner attachments such as the upholstery nozzle and crevice tool. If you don't have a vacuum, a brush will do, however it will also scatter dust around.
Use a range hood when cooking in order to reduce greasy soil in your home's air. Clean furnace filters to reduce soil in air.
Use arm and headrest covers to protect areas against early build-up of soil from skin and hair. If people who wear shorts will be sitting on furniture, cover with washable throws, sheets or pieces of terrycloth to protect from body soil.
Upholstery Cleaning Homemade Preparation
Commercial upholstery shampoos work well and easy to use. However, if you prefer, you can use the following homemade preparation:
- Combine 1/4-cup of liquid dish detergent or laundry detergent with 1-cup warm water.
- Use a hand mixer to whip until dry suds form (the suds should look like whipped cream).
- Test upholstery in an innocuous area by applying dry suds with a cloth or soft brush and scrub lightly.
- Allow to dry.
- If the area looks the same but is cleaner, the entire piece of upholstery may be cleaned in this manner.
- Shampoo only a small area at a time and use a rubber scoop or spatula to lift away dirty suds.
- Repeat if necessary, and then wipe the area with a clean cloth dipped in clear water and wring until nearly dry.
- Dry completely.
- Keep upholstery as dry as possible when shampooing in order to prevent damage. For quick drying, open windows or turn on an electric fan, dehumidifier, or an air conditioner in the same room.
- Follow the cleaning instructions on furniture labels!
For more tips and information about leather/wood/upholstered furniture cleaning or carpet cleaning queries - call 404-551-2691 and ask for our upholstery cleaning experts!